A complete guide about yoga for chronic illness, how to heal disease like diabetes, breast cancer, arthritis, obesity & much more naturally with yoga.
“Yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self’BHAGAVAD GITA ‘
Hey guys, welcome back with our latest post yoga poses for chronic illness. So, today we will provide you a complete guide about the various chronic disease & how to cure them of yoga both physically & mentally.
Yoga is a word in Sanskrit that means union and rightly so, as it is the ‘union’ of physical, mental, and spiritual well being. It is the science of being, of youthfulness that connects body, mind, and soul to make us and our surroundings serene. It is not just performing some asanas on a mat, it is a way of life. Apart from its mental and spiritual advantages, it is also performed regularly to cure or prevent chronic diseases. The burden of chronic diseases has increased exponentially worldwide. Almost 60% of global deaths are caused by chronic illness.
While many people can afford mostly expensive treatments, most people don’t possess the means or the infrastructure for their treatments. It has been proven that Yoga can cure many common chronic health issues like diabetes, asthma, anxiety, pulmonary diseases, etc.
In this article, we are going to see yoga poses for chronic illness.
Yoga for Anxiety/Depression
Globally, approximately, 264 million people suffer from depression and are the leading cause of mental disorders and global diseases. About 8,00,000 people lose their lives to depression every year.
Those of them who manage to survive through these hardships often cite Yoga as the means of their cure. Yoga increases body awareness, relieves stress, calms the muscles and nervous system, and reduces inflammation in the body.
- Firstly, place the mat on the floor and lie down on it,
- Then, relax your whole body by loosening it like a corpse.
- Keep your palm facing upward and a shoulder-width distance between legs.
- After that take a deep breath and sense the flow of oxygen in your body.
- Focus on your breathe and do long deep breathing.
Always keep your whole body on the mat if you let your body outside it will cause loss of energy that is going to arise in your body. In this posture, the earth absorbs our energy if we let in direct contact with it, so keep your body on the mat and relax your body fully.
- Stand straight on the mat keeping your toes apart and making v- shape.
- Now raise both hands above your head and make a criss-cross grip.
- After that stretch your full body by standing on your toes and stretching fingers outward.
- Take a deep breath, exhale, inhale, and let the oxygen flow in your veins.
Do not forget to stand in front of the mat & take deep breaths so that your lungs get enough oxygen.
- Just lie down on the mat keeping your both legs shoulder-width apart and placing both hands on top of each other.
- Now, calmly place your forehead over your hand and relax.
- Take slow breaths and continuously focus on your breath.
- After you will forget your all worries, stress, depression, and then you will feel eternal peace.
This is the most relaxing asana of all of the above, this asana helps you to calm your soul and purify it. Also, it is the most simple asana.
Yoga for Breast Cancer
It is the most common cancer among women, impacting 2.1 million women every year, out of which 6,27,000 die. There is a 1 in 8 chance for a woman to develop breast cancer and the rates are getting higher every year.
Yoga lowers the level of hormones (including insulin and estrogen) that are responsible for the development and progression of breast cancer.
1) Fish pose
- Firstly, sit down on the mat in the padmasana posture.
- Lie backward on the mat keeping your hands aside.
- Then, try to put your palm on your thighs
- Backward bend your back balancing posture on your head.
Do not force yourself in this pose, do as much as you can. Doing it forcefully can cause muscle injury.
2) Cow face pose
- In the starting, sit on your mat keeping your legs straight.
- Put your right knee on your left knee & bend both knees.
- Then, sit straight with your head facing forward.
- Touch both hands behind your back by bringing your right hand from upwards & left hand from downwards.
Try to keep your back straight with face facing forward.
3) Warrior 2 pose
- Firstly, stand straight on the mat keeping your leg wide apart.
- Widen your hands towards either side of your shoulders making a 90⁰ angle with your torso/lower body
- Now slightly bend your right knee.
- Then try to widen your chest & do total control breathing.
Do not perform this pose if you have knee joint pain. Also, do not forget to do total concentration breathing.
Yoga for Diabetes
Approximately, 422 million people suffer from diabetes. The global prevalence of diabetes among adults rose from 4.7% to 8.5% in the past 18 years.
Certain poses (asanas) help lower blood sugar and blood pressure while improving circulation throughout the body. Regular practice can also prevent heart diseases.
1) Child pose
- Firstly, sit down on your mat in vajrasana.
- Now, raise your hands above your head.
- Then, lie down forward on the mat by stretching your back perfectly.
- After that, come back to the starting posture from which you started.
do not force yourself to do it as much as you can. Also, if you have a back pain problem then you should consult before doing this pose.
- Firstly, sit on the ground with legs forward.
- Then, hold the toes of your feet with the fingers of both hands.
- Then, breathe out slowly & try to touch the knees with your forehead.
- After that breathe in slowly, raise your head upwards & come to the prior position.
Keep a check on your breaths and only do as much as you can. Otherwise, it can cause injury.
- Firstly, from ashtanga namaskar posture raise your upper body and make a c- curve from it.
- Stretch your toes outside and your full lower body should touch the ground.
- Bend your elbows and relax your shoulders.
- Then, try to look backward by fully stretching your back.
- Take normal breathe and hold the position for a minimum of 10 – 12 seconds.
Try to touch both the heel & toes of your leg. Also, look up towards the ceiling so that, your chest gets a large range.
Yoga for Arthritis
Worldwide estimates are that 9.6% of men and 18% of women suffer from arthritis. 80% of them have limitations in movement while 25 % cannot perform their major day-to-day activities.
Yoga improves symptoms like pain and stiffness in the bones, joints function, and flexibility. It also lowers stress and tension to promote better sleep.
- Take a mat and unroll it on the floor.
- Now sit on the mat.
- Keep your right leg on the left thigh and left leg under your right knee.
- Then, join your both hands and close your eyes.
- Take deep breaths and feel the flow of oxygen in your body.
Sukhasana is the most common asana and is also known as an easy pose. In this pose person’s knees get to relax. But, proper breathing technique is the most important for this yogasana.
- Lie down in the makarasna posture.
- Put your both hands on both sides of your chest.
- Join your both feet and raise your middle body to make a mountain-like posture.
- Stretch your back while it is up and try to put both heels on the ground.
- Hold the posture for a minimum of 15 to 20 seconds.
- Don’t put too much stress on your body.
Put more weight on your hands, legs, and do not stretch your knees too much.
3) Setu bandhasana
- Lie down on the mat in the Shavasana posture.
- Fold your knees and try to touch your hands to the heel.
- Now raise your middle body without moving your shoulders and neck.
- Relax the posture by repeating the same procedure as performed.
Don’t try too hard if you are unable to perform the posture and always do every asana or pose under the surveillance of elder ones.
Yoga for Weight Loss
In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight, out of which 650 million were obese. According to WHO, obese patients are more prone to deaths than underweight people.
Yoga, when combined with a healthy diet, is proven to result in weight loss. It increases mindfulness and how you relate to your body as a result of which you seek food that is good for you.
Obesity is a kind of chronic illness that is increasing globally day by day. Here are some yoga for chronic illness that may help you get slim trim.
- Firstly, stand straight on the mat with feet more than shoulder-width distance apart.
- Now, stretch your hands sideward parallel to the ground.
- Sideward bend your belly and touch your feet with one hand.
- Then, raise your other hand in line with the previous hand.
- Look at the ceiling.
- Hence, perform the same procedure with another leg.
Hold one asana or pose only for 15 to 20 seconds and always keep taking a breath while performing the pose. Always relax any pose slowly and with the same procedure as it was performed.
- Firstly, lie down on the mat by your front-facing ground.
- Now hold your both legs from your both hands with the overhand grip.
- Then try to stretch your full body.
- Keep your face facing the ceiling.
do not stretch too much as it can cause a serious injury to your back. Also, do not touch your leg while in posture.
Yoga for Asthma
It is estimated that more than 339 million people suffer from asthma and is responsible for most deaths in young adults. It is one of the major non-communicable diseases in the world.
Yoga relaxes the mind and energizes the nervous system. It also clears all the energy channels and improves blood circulation. It improves the flow of oxygen through the lungs.
1) Cat pose
- Firstly, keep both knees on the mat & stand on them.
- Now, put your both hands on the mat perpendicular to your torso.
- Then, forward bend your back by stretching your full body outward.
Do not perform this pose excessively otherwise it can cause injury in your back.
- Firstly, sit in a vajrasana posture.
- Now, touch your heels with both of your hands.
- Then, try to stand on your knees.
If you are unable to touch your heel then can lean slightly backward by supporting your back with your hands.
3) Cow pose
- Firstly, sit in a vajrasana pose the same as you did in a cat pose.
- Now, stand on your knees & put your hands on the mat making a 90° angle with your torso.
- Then, bend your back inwardly & feel the proper stretch.
Do not stretch excessively, do as much as you can.
So this was all about yoga poses for the chronic illness I hope you loved this content if yes then you can let us know in the comment section. Thank you so much guys for reading this content properly. You can follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and the Pinterest link is at the starting of the post.
So, this was post on yoga for chronic illness if you want much more content on this topic , kindly tell us in comment section we will post it ASAP.